Indigenous Leadership & Awareness Session - March 9, 2019
Creating Pathways to Indigenous Achievement is a key part of the University of Manitoba's Strategic Plan. It is part of our mandate to ensure that students graduate with an understanding of the importance and contributions of Indigenous peoples in Manitoba and Canada. By partnering with AMIK Inc., we hope to educate members of our undergraduate student population on these contributions.
Students who participate in the this professional development event will be given a certificate of completion and will be able to put this skill set on their resume.
Workshop Objectives: This course will provide participants with:
- The ability to challenge myths and misconceptions with respect to Indigenous peoples and communities
- The opportunity to learn about engagement with Indigenous communities
- A brief understanding of traditional Indigenous cultures – and in particular worldviews, spiritualities and histories
- A brief understanding of the history of agriculture and Indigenous communities (past and present)
- The ability to identify "best practices" when engaging Indigenous communities during sensitive situations involving issues of traditional territorial claims, rights and other instances that may emerge
The workshop will be held at Cedar Lake Ranch which is located near Anola Manitoba. Students are to meet at campus and transportation will be provided.
March 9, 2019 - Preliminary Itinerary:
7:00 AM -Pick up at the U of M
8:00 AM - Arrive at Cedar Lake Ranch (CLR)
8:30 AM - Indigenous Cultural Awareness & History of Agriculture and First Nations
12:30 PM - Light Lunch
1:00 PM - Prepare for Traditional Sweat
1:30 PM - Commence Sweat & Teachings
2:30 PM - Break
2:45 PM - Traditional Feast
3:45 PM - Wrap Up
4:15 PM - Depart CLR
WHAT TO BRING:
Sweat lodge Ceremonial clothing (long skirt, swim shorts, optional personal traditional bundles (rattles, pipes, tobacco, long cotton night gown, house coat, moccasins)
Appropriate clothing for weather conditions.
Signup below to reserve your spot!